"The Martin Alto" - Comm III
Handcraft Silver-plate - SOLD
Indiana - SOLD
RMC - Ref. Only
Handcraft Old Imperial - SOLD
Handcraft - City Skyline - SOLD
Medalist - SOLD
Compare Old Imperials
Wurlitzer (Stencil) - Sold
RMC (Richards) - SOLD Oct. '09
HC Comm I "Skyline" - SOLD Nov. '09
The Martin Tenor - Committee III
"The Martin" (Committee III) -
"38 Special" - Sold
1930's Martin Imperial
"The Martin" -
Green-Eyed Monster - SOLD
"The Martin" - The Boss - SOLD
"The Martin" - Primo SOLD
New Imperial - SOLD
"The Martin" - SOLD
Troubadour - Ref. Only
Martin Indiana - SOLD
"The Martin" Baritone - SOLD
Martin Company history -
[From The Martin Story Website]
Originally “The Martin Company” was founded by John Henry Martin.
Martin was born February 25, 1835 in Dresden, Germany.
He learned to make instruments in Germany as an apprentice.
In 1855 he emigrated to the USA, where in 1865 he moved to Chicago.
“The Martin Company” was founded by him in 1865
(other sources claim around 1890) in Chicago.
In 1871 the factory was destroyed by a (not the) great Chicago fire.
In 1876, he moved to Elkhart and became the 6th employee to work for Conn. His health forced him to retire in 1902.
In 1920 he died.
The second company called “The Martin Band Instrument Company” was founded in 1904
(other sources claim 1906) by the five sons of John Martin.
The "Handcraft" models were handmade and hand engraved instruments that were produced for a very long time.
The Handcraft introduced bevelled toneholes to the US (Cousenon was probably the first company with
pseudo-beveled toneholes) and Martin tinkered with them considerably throughout their history.
Martin was contracted as a stencil supplier to a wide variety of companies (Pedler, Lyon & Healy, etc.).
However, most of the stencils Martin made were for the FE Olds company. However, the best of the Martin-made stencils
is unquestionably the Olds Super model.
* FA Reynolds worked at FE Olds. Reynolds went on to form Reynolds Music Company, which was in turn bought by Olds.
(Paul) Richards Music Company, then bought Martin around 1961, and then Olds merged with Norlin music (FA Reynolds)
* EJ Gillespie, the designer of the Committee, patented saxophones for Martin and trumpets for Olds -- in the early 1950's.
Francis Compton became controlling partner of the company in 1912.
Followed by the following presidents:
From 1904 (or 1906) till 1910, the five brothers
build their instruments in their homes.
In 1910 they moved to Elkhart, where at Baldwin street they
started their factory.
1931-1948 Fred Holtz
1948-1960 Robert Stahl
In 1928, Martin acquired controlling interest in The Indiana Band Instrument Company, which operated as a
separate company until 1942, when it moved under the flag of Martin to become the producer of student
line instruments, a strong growing market at that time.
In 1961, Paul Richards formed the Richards Music Corporation, by merging Martin, Blessing and Reynolds,
(In this periode Martins carry a the
RMC marking, which officially stands for Roundtable of musical
Craftsmen, NOT (officially) for Richards Music Corporation)
In 1963, Richards Music was dissolved
In 1964, Wurlitzer bought the rights of Martin. including registered trademarks, copyrights, patents,
engineering records and tools.
In 1971 Leblanc (The french company that markets Vito and Yanigasawa), took over the rights,
they used the Martin name to sell Yanigasawa built saxes.